Great day trip
Planning a visit? Join as a Member today.
Family Membership costs just $40 for two adults and any children or grandchildren under 18. You'll receive free admission for the whole family any day you visit.
Tips for your day trip:
- Outfit the kids with daypack filled with lunch and bottled water
- Bring a pair of binoculars to pass around
- Settle in and eat lunch at the lookout or boulder field while you watch for wildlife
- If spring or autumn, plan to take in a free wekeend program, especially Raptors Up Close or Birding with Binoculars.
- Trails are rocky, so bring the big kids or plan to help or carry little ones
- The closest overlook is an easy, smooth walk with several rocky overlooks nearby
- Kids love scrambling over the boulders, so plan to let them spend time at each one
- Walk through the Native Plant Garden (enter through gate) and try to spot frogs, newts and a turtle in the pond
Day Trip Idea: Hike to North Lookout (Weekday)
Hike to the North Lookout on a Weekday
- Pack a lunch and let everyone carry his or her own day pack
- Stop in the Visitor Center to pay trail fee or purchase membership. Or, buy a membership now and simply show your card
- Walk through the education exhibits on birds of prey
- Examine the 3D trail map and check your route
- Grab a trail map and head outside
- Stop in the Native Plant Garden (fenced area next to Visitor Center-enter at Gate)
- See how many frogs and newts the kids can find--any turtles?
- Continue on and pass through the trail entrance Gate
- Stop and enjoy the view at South Lookout
- Continue on the Lookout Trail, stopping at the lookouts you pass along the way
- North Lookout is 3/4 mile walk
- Relax on the rocks, have lunch, and watch for wildlife
- Let the kids crawl around the boulders and then head back to the Visitor Center
- If you didn't do so already, you may turn in your tickets before you leave toward the cost of a Family Membership
- Estimated time: 2 to 4 hours